In order to attract and retain more students, Auburn University embarked on a venture creating updated student housing in a prime on-campus location. Line Scale Form served as Architect for the “Student Housing Initiative in Support of Learning Communities,” completing Site Planning and full Schematic Design documents for the project.
The development consisted of six four-story buildings creating a “student community” served by two “Tiger Transit” stops. Three of the buildings house 18 sororities, their “chapter rooms” and support spaces. The remaining three buildings have “Living/Learning Centers” consisting of a suite of three classrooms, three instructors’ offices and four small group study rooms.
Site Planning included:
- Consideration of the proposed site for AU’s new coliseum
- Development of a tree-lined, pedestrian “West Concourse” extending to the Student Center
- Positioning the buildings to strengthen the existing campus grid
- Coordination with existing in-ground utilities
- A variety – in size and function – of outdoor spaces
- A semi-private outdoor Commons space for each building
- A larger “Central Commons” creating a space for passive student interaction
Note: another Architect served as Architect of Record for this project.